https://1drv.ms/b/s!ArIr93HBNYE1gRcB9qrHUVf55nzANatalia Dounskaia, PhD
- PhD - Institute of Control Sciences, Russian Academy of Science, 1990
- MS - Moscow Institute of Electronic Building, Moscow, Russia, 1976
- BS - Moscow Institute of Electronic Building, Moscow, Russia, 1976
- Dounskaia N, Shimansky Y (2016) Strategy of arm movement control is determined by minimization of neural effort for joint coordination. Exp Brain Res. 234:1335-1350. Review
- Zubair HN, Stout EE, Dounskaia N, Beloozerova IN (2018) The role of inter-segmental dynamics in coordination of the forelimb joints during unperturbed and perturbed skilled locomotion. J Neurophysiol 120: 1547–1557.
- Vidt, ME, Marshall, D, Sansgiri, D, Sarbolandi, J, Dounskaia, N. Upper limb joint control during activities of daily living. American Society of Biomechanics Annual Meeting. Rochester, MN. Pages 1, 2. August 8-11, 2018. (Peer reviewed extended abstract)
- Dounskaia N, Peterson D, Bruhns R (2018) Destabilization of the upright posture through elevation of the center of mass. Ann Biomed Eng. 46: 318-323.
- Wang W, Dounskaia N (2016) Neural control of arm movements reveals a tendency to use gravity to simplify joint coordination rather than to decrease muscle effort. Neuroscience, 339: 418-432.
- Wang W, Dounskaia N (2015) Influence of Workspace Constraints on Directional Preferences of 3D Arm Movements. Exp Brain Res. 233: 2141-2153.
- Dounskaia N, Wang W (2014) A Preferred Pattern of Joint Coordination during Arm Movements with Redundant Degrees of Freedom. J Neurophysiol. 112:1040-1053.
Poetry in Motion (PDF) - Dr. Natalia Dounskaia describes how her work on the Leading Joint Hypothesis
Control of human multi-joint movements, bimanual movement control, origins of submovements in aiming movements, adverse effect of normal aging and motor disorders on movement control.
Current/Recent Grants and Projects
- Factors contributing to efficiency of arm movements revealed through directional biases. Funded by National Science Foundation, May 2008-April 2011; $335,712